Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Evanescence Comes to México



Band Name: Evanescence.
Band Members:
Amy Lee – lead vocals, keyboards, harp.
Terry Balsamo – lead guitar.
Troy McLawhorn – rhythm guitar.
Tim McCord – bass.
Will Hunt – drums.
Tour: Evanescence Tour.
CD: Evanescence.

Evanescence is a band I have liked for many, many years. As a preteen, it introduced me to a new kind of music I didn’t know then, and I fell in love with it. So after almost five years of absence, I was excited to hear their new stuff.

“Evanescence” is a step up from “The Open Door”, but it doesn’t quite reach “Fallen”, “Origin” or their bootleg stuff that is very hard to find. After so much time, it was very refreshing to see how the band innovated and evolved with songs like “Swimming Home”. Also, many of the new songs have a techno feel to them, which is very interesting.

So, when I heard they were coming to Mexico I didn’t hesitate to buy tickets to the show. I had seen them when they came here on their “The Open Door” tour and it was a very good show, so I thought I would repeat the experience.

Apart from some evil and mean person stealing my phone, the show was incredible. Maybe a little short, but the energy of the crowd and of the performers made it very fun and enjoyable. People were very supportive of the band and it was very exciting to hear those epic songs live and Amy’s very distinctive and strong voice.

The stage was very simple, yet filled with lights that helped the music and performance grow. The only bad thing was the lack of screens as a visual aid. Even though, the show was very powerful and that power didn’t come from the lights, or the stage; it came from Amy Lee’s vocal performance and stage presence. She seemed happy to be there and that energy went directly into the way she performed the songs. Even when she was sitting at the piano, she managed to convey a lot of emotion with her voice.

The set list was mostly composed of songs from the new CD, but it also left space for some of the old favorites. They opened with the first single of their new CD “What You Want”, which instantly made the crowd go crazy.

One of the highlights, for me, happened when they played “Imaginary” which happens to be my favorite Evanescence song. They also played some of the fan favorites like “Lithium”, “Going Under” and “Bring Me To Life”. They played 18 songs, including the encore.

The encore and show finished with a performance of “My Immortal”, which Amy introduced in Spanish. The song managed to move the whole venue and there wasn’t a person who didn’t sing along. It was very moving and exciting.

It is very good to see Evanescence back with new music. I can only hope they keep doing it for many years to come. That way I can go and enjoy their concerts whenever they come to Mexico.

I'll leave you a clip of one of the songs played at this concert so you can see what I'm talking about.




No comments:

Post a Comment