Thursday, July 30, 2015

Lorena Ramos a rising star

There is something about an underdog that will always be appealing. Lorena Ramos is the perfect example: in her mid-twenties she deemed to old to begin an acting career. Still she moved to New York City to make her dream happen, but also with a lot of pressure to make this opportunity count. I had the chance to talk to her and this is what she told me:

When did your passion for acting begin?
My passion for film began when I was 13 and I went to boarding school and every weekend we would just watch movies all day long. One of the movies I watched there was Moulin Rouge, which left me speechless after it finished. That was the moment of realization. It became clear to me that it was what I wanted to do with my life. From that point on, I found myself feeling alive every time I saw a good movie, I wanted to be a part of it. I wanted to tell stories and inspire other people´s lives.

Do you prefer theater or film?
As an actress I prefer theatre, you live a journey from beginning to end and you only live it once. There is also the connection with the audience which film doesn't give you. I feel more vulnerable with a live audience, you put yourself out there as a human being and you let them see your soul, your human experiences. Even if I don´t know them I allow them to come into my life, they empathize with your vulnerability in a present moment.

How did you get your first part as an actress?
The first play I ever did was Alice in Wonderland when I was 13 and I was in boarding school. I was the Rabbit. But the first audition in which I actually got the job was a mobile phone commercial in Mexico. In the callback I had to pretend that I was in the car with my boyfriend and we were abut to kiss when suddenly the three wise Kings appeared in the back seat of the car… It felt so good to get payed for the first time as an actress.

What is your biggest dream? What would you like to achieve as an actress?
I want to tell stories. I want to entertain, but I also want to be part of projects that would make the audience have an experience that can make them feel good, happy and inspired. When you see a movie or a play, you root for the characters. Thousands of people all over the world become part of the same team without even realizing it, human race gets united through art. Its amazing what art can do for peoples spirits.

Tell us abut Los Muertos, how was your experience?
I read the script, I loved it, and I really wanted to be a part of it. I understood why Santiago Mohar, the director, wanted to tell this story. It spoke to my personal life a lot. I think that its a strike against the way that wealthy kids in Mexico City live. I had experienced that in my life and it made me sick. By being part of this project I felt like I was raising my voice by saying:“Yhis is what the real thing is and it's disgusting, it's destroying society! Look at it!”I´m very happy with the result, because it creates an uncomfortable experience, but the message goes beyond that.

What can you tell people who wants to study acting in NYC?

I can say that if you have the opportunity to come and learn from the best you should. Also, that your own growth depends on how much you are willing to work. It doesn't matter if your teacher is amazing, if you are not doing the work you´ll never be able to see what you are capable of achieving. An actor prepares.  

Visit her webpage: lorenadelpino.net

No comments:

Post a Comment